OCHGE Mission Statement
The mission of the Ohio Council on Holocaust and Genocide Education is to advance and improve Holocaust and genocide education in Ohio through professional development, educator workshops, and the dissemination of tools that connect educators and the public with accurate, relevant, and useful educational resources.
OCHGE Educational Recommendations
Effective Holocaust and genocide education:
- Addresses the historical, political, cultural, and religious precursors that contributed to the Holocaust and other genocides.
- Honors and preserves the individual stories and experiences of victims and survivors of the Holocaust and genocide.
- Connects contemporary global issues to the Holocaust and genocide and examines the impact these tragedies have had, and continue to have.
- Examines the ramification of prejudice, racism, ethnocentrism, and other forms of exclusionary social behavior.
- Promotes inclusion within our pluralistic society that fosters the dignity of all people and the protection of their fundamental human rights (regardless of race, religion, nationality, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or affiliation).
- Fosters a commitment to democratic values and engaged citizenship.