Expired: Summer Workshop for Educators (2018)June 12, 2018
Dates & Times
June 12, 2018
Registration / Continental Breakfast: 8:30 – 9:00am
Workshop: 9am – 4:30pm
Jewish Community Center of Greater Columbus
1125 College Avenue
Columbus, OH 43209
Price: $40.00 – includes workshop materials, continental breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Attendees will receive access to the Echoes and Reflections web resources, which includes visual history testimonies, and an expansive website with supplementary multimedia assets and supportive tools for educators. The program is organized around ten themes, each focusing on a different dimension of Holocaust history. Information on the program at: echoesandreflections.org
- 9:15-11am: Teaching the Holocaust: The Echoes and Reflections Curriculum – Sarah Weiss, Executive Director of the Center for Holocaust & Humanity Education
- 11:15-12:15: Teaching About Genocide – Bradley Beach, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Philosophy, Walsh University
- 1:00-1:45pm: Using the Diary of David Sierakowiak in the Classroom – Mark B. Cole, PhD, History, Cleveland State University
- 2:00-3:00pm: The Miracle of Survival – Testimony of Roman Frayman, Holocaust Survivor
- 3:00-4:00pm: Introduction to Judaism – Marilyn W. Feldman, Educator
- 4:30-5:30pm: Optional visit to area Holocaust memorials at the Jewish Federation of Columbus building and Ohio State House.
- 7:900-8:30pm: Dates of Remembrance – And the Stories that Make Them Matter* – Karen Shawn, PhD, Jewish Education, Yeshiva University
*Evening presentation is free and open to the public.
Sarah Weiss, Executive Director of The Center for Holocaust and Humanity Education, will facilitate the Echoes and Reflection portion of the workshop. Echoes and Reflections prepares educators to teach the complex history of the Holocaust in a way that stimulates engagement, critical thinking and personal understanding among students. This comprehensive multimedia program delivers professional development and a rich array of interactive resources for middle and high school teachers. Echoes and Reflections is a joint program of the Anti-Defamation League, USC [University of Southern California] Shoah Foundation, and Yad Vashem.
Registration is now closed. Thanks to all who attended!